July 9, 2014

Guilty conscience of a daughter

Posted by Keirthana at 10:40 PM
Dear Amma,

I am sorry. This is an apologetic post for being that daughter who probably fulfilled all the dreams in your eyes when it came to the outside world but missed it totally when it came to household work. All those days when I should have helped you but instead lay on the bed like a sloth and read Harry Potter books over and over again, all those days when I knew the efforts it took you to give everything to me on a platter but still thought I can relax only when I come home, all those days when I saw you working non-stop from 5 in the morning to 11 in the night but still thought "It's amma. She is used to it and she is built that way". I am sorry for all those days.

I know you don't mind it even now, because you are indeed built that way. You are okay as long as I am. Never once have I heard you complain that I am not helping you at home. When all the members of the family complained one or the other time, you were the one who supported me saying "Let her rest. She has come home for only 2 days". You like work and hate sitting idle. If someone makes you sit idle, you'd doze off. Even if you're in a public place. That shows how much you work and how less you sleep. I get how that feels now because let alone sitting, if you ask me to just stand for a couple of minutes, I will doze off. The physical work and reduced sleep does that to you and I am not  doing even 1/10th of your day's work.

Today as I try to complete the household chores, I try to be you and I realize how difficult it is. It always seemed so easy to be you - a home maker with the entire 24 hrs of the day at hand. But yours is the toughest job on earth. I can vouch for that anywhere and anytime. When I was young, I remember asking you why your hands are so rough and you used to smile and then say, "With age, it becomes like that" or some answer of the sort. Now I know- Yours became rough so that mine could stay soft. Now I know the reason of everything you do. It's always the family. When you used to teasingly tell me that I will understand the intricacies when I am a woman running a family, I shrugged it off. Every single thing you said, seriously or teasingly, is true.

I call you a hundred times today. Asking myriad doubts of all kinds. You have all the answers, the work-around, solutions for my mess ups ready. Now I think back of what more I should have done at home. I sincerely do hope that my future daughter listens to me earlier than I did to you. I hope that she realizes things at a faster pace than I did.

Love,
Your lazy daughter who got a tight slap from life
and has been forced to face reality.

9 comments:

Preeti S. on July 10, 2014 at 1:29 AM said...

I can relate to this so much. Having taken up the household duties (temporarily), I find myself not only incompetent to not only complete necessary chores on time but also, the very pathetic quality of the work I do manage to do around the house. It is incredible to realize how much our mothers have slogged around the house all these years and we barely if ever noticed it. Now that I sometimes go and visit my mother who lives with my maternal grandparents, I can pin point all the tiny little extra things she does for me to make life easier. And I make it a point to thank her. Yes, I will gradually come to the point of returning the favour too. But no matter how hard I try, I cannot let my degraded sense of cooking replace her excellence in the kitchen.

Beautifully written. :)

Confused Soul on July 10, 2014 at 3:31 PM said...

I don't know why but I have tears in my eyes after reading this.
I think of my Mom and it's very true. Mom's are superwoman!
I hope this letter gives me a pinch and makes me realize I need to pay attention

monica on July 10, 2014 at 4:04 PM said...

so poignant.....
such weighted words and such a harsh reality...:(

Keirthana on July 10, 2014 at 7:44 PM said...

Thank you all, Yes, we do know how much moms do for us but never take the time to notice and acknowledge it at the least. I realize it today when I am in the position to run a household all alone. This confession is just a start of a long debt that is never repayable.

Aathira on July 10, 2014 at 8:22 PM said...

Beautifully expressed, Keirthana. We never realize our Mom's super power till we get married and start shouldering responsibilities. They were super women, no doubt!

Deepa on July 14, 2014 at 12:39 PM said...

Moms are Gods in disguise

Anonymous said...

A beautiful and heart warming letter to a Mother. They are the best and have such a tough role to play to make their children happy.
Beautiful Soumya.

http://vishal-newkidontheblock.blogspot.com/2014/07/an-orkut-love-story-chapter-14.html

Abhishek on August 20, 2014 at 12:15 PM said...

HOMEMAKER ------- > the most difficult profession of all

Lonely soul on October 28, 2014 at 3:19 PM said...

Dz seems to be my story too..moms r always the best!! Thanks for sharing ...;-)

Post a Comment

 

Darlings Of Venus Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Illustration by Enakei | Blogger Blog Templates