February 4, 2013

Limtied Options and Unlimited Happiness!

Posted by Keirthana at 10:41 PM
Each of us would have nostalgic moments of childhood and with the world changing at a deadly pace, we know that we have come so far from what we were. However, when you think of it you sense the core personality just lingering in there, despite of any number of masks that you might have to wear for the part of fulfilling the grown-up life.

My childhood was awesome, maybe I didn't know it back then but it was really. The first time when I learnt to ride a bicycle, the first time I fell down, the first struggle or breath as I learned swimming, those kulfis during the summer holidays, silly fights with brother on who gets the bigger piece of cake, the umpteen number of times I fell down and hurt myself... these seem so silly on the outlook. However, now that I cannot go back to those days, these seem like the bigger part that I am missing. When I look at the colorful stationery that's in market these days, I am reminded of the first time I held a micro-tip pencil :) When I look at the dresses the kids wear these days, I am reminded of the frilly frocks that were the only option for small-town girls like me in those days. I know I didn't have a lot of options, but not having so options that it is practically confusing you was good.

Today, I can hardly buy anything without regretting that I could have bought a better one which I see a little later. It happens. There are so many things and so many options. I see parents bringing their kids to malls and letting them play around as they shop. I accept that I didn't get to even know what a mall is back then, but I frankly would prefer that. Eating out was an occasion back then. It is a routine today. When I win the proficiency prize of the year, my dad used to take the family out to celebrate. That elated feeling.. :)

When I see kids playing with ipads and ipods, I am reminded of those days when I used to run around playing all the silly games in the world. I would be tired when I am done, but I never got bored of it. In fact, I used to beg my mom for 5 more minutes of play time. Today, all that has shrunk. My favorite past-time was to try climb to the top of the slippery pillar in our hall (our home was a very ancient one which has all those pillars and lengthy halls with many rooms). Each time I had to try without getting caught by the elders. :)  We had only Doordharshan back then since we were a joint family and one or the other kid was invariably preparing for the board exam. DD and it's silly serials.. Shaktimaan, Alif-laila, Oliyum Oliyum (A friday programme which broadcasts movie songs), the sunday movie.. How can I get over all those?

The little things.. the finer print... You never see it but one day realize that it really matters. I admit frankly that I am a little sad that I cannot give my child that awesome experience which I had. My child would not complain since it never knew what it was. Even if I try to explain, it would seem so plain, simple and restricted. I am not saying everything is wrong with the current lifestyle, but given my choice, my heart would prefer that life. When options were limited and happiness unlimited :)

Until later,

P.S: My friend gave me this link and I am awed at how they can enjoy the song this much without even knowing what kaveri aaru(Kaveri river) and kaikuthal arisi (The hand-polished rice) means.

12 comments:

NBose on February 7, 2013 at 1:23 AM said...

wow..quite thought provoking post :)

You pointed out so correctly....eating out, Doordarshan days, climbing pillars, that prized possession (micro-tip pencil....things were different.
feeling so nostaligic :)

Smita on February 7, 2013 at 10:44 AM said...

Remembering the past gone happy days is a good thing that should be practised every then and now.
Doordarsha..shaktiman..chitrahar..ramayan..park events..celebrating momsnts... I remember all as if they had just happened...though i didnt have a nice normal usual childhood...still i have memories which I wish I could relive.

Keirthana on February 8, 2013 at 10:16 AM said...

@NBose: Yeah, those days were so good, ain't they? I had quite a many prized possessions. :)

@Smita: Glad you could relate.. and yeah it is really nice to look back and reflect :)

Anonymous said...

Good read!
Have got these same thoughts so many times in my head. Those times when the years and months were definitely longer and plump with memories...not like these days when time just whizzes past and you really cant put a finger on what exactly the last year entailed.
DD movie, DD news by a reader with one sided rose in her hair, HeMan, Stone Boy, Katha Sagar, Pinky pencils, Hero pens...Mmmm, delicious memories

Keirthana on February 8, 2013 at 9:02 PM said...

Myriad: Thanks for reminding me more.. Hero pens.. I used to beg my dad to buy me one and he struck a deal with.. I come first in class and he would get me a hero pen :) I did win that one!!! And I totally agree with your point that time these days are just a busy blur. There is no slowing down :(

Revathi Muthukumar on February 10, 2013 at 8:27 PM said...

Nice da :) By reading this me too remembered our childhood times and its matching wit me too :)eventho we hav much music channels nowadays we were just happy with tat Oliyum Oliyum days I say :) and me too really enjoyed my childhood and especially my days in my dad school til 5th :) wanted to go back again :(

Keirthana on February 11, 2013 at 6:03 PM said...

Revathi: Glad :) Yes, though so many options are floating in the market these days, it just does nothing else but to remind of that one thing that used to be available in our days but it is not there now. Happens. We are running a mad cat race and we can't stop running even if we want to.

Ramya on February 12, 2013 at 12:50 PM said...

Superb post, liked every bit of it you made us sail in nostalgia and for which I also am on the same boat as you are and have experienced every bit of it what you have mentioned here.

Great post ...

Keirthana on February 12, 2013 at 9:45 PM said...

Ramya: Glad you could relate :)

Anonymous said...

Great posting ... Keep writing , nice to read it..

Thanks
Real Estate Developer

Keirthana on February 16, 2013 at 10:35 PM said...

Thanks Rahul!

Interiors Sense on April 9, 2019 at 4:06 PM said...

good story

Post a Comment

 

Darlings Of Venus Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Illustration by Enakei | Blogger Blog Templates