May 25, 2012

Living life XL- bada hai toh behtar hai :D

Posted by maithili at 7:47 PM
             Shopping can be a real pain (yes even for a girl!) if you are the size dreaded by most women. So you make a face and think, "What is the big deal? There are plenty stores that offer you XL size and its anyway the way you carry it that matters". Attitude my foot! Only when you feel comfortable ,with what you are wearing, you feel confident. And what if you never get what you think you will be comfortable in?

             For all those who think M and L are the ultimate big sizes, welcome to the world of an XL girl. Some brands even give the same size in XXL ( Talk about boosting the morale). You call yourself fat and make a cry about that M size that isn't fitting you, while you inwardly grin at the XL girl and think "Atleast I m not that fat".

             There are only a handful of outfits which I have bought out of choice. The others are usually to fill in for what I actually wanted to buy. Say for example, I eye that beautiful kurti in the showroom and I think twice before asking for it  ( most of the time, they are too small) and when I try it out, my assets are crying for space! There comes the sympathetic, enthusiastic salesman and says, " Madam ye try kar lijiye, ye aapka perfect size hai". While your heart is still grieving, you try on the next thing after another until finally something fits well without making you look like you are carrying a baby in your pouch. After all the hardwork, do you really think we have a choice but to buy the one that atleast fit well! Who the hell thought that fat girls had no choice?? And I m going to kill the person who thought fat girls prefer pale colors. I do not understand why .in the name of God, are the worst designs in  XL size??

              Just because I m well endowed I have to make do with white and skin colored bras?? True story from today. I do not get colored bras ever and when I do, they have fitting from hell. 
              The real tragedy of shopping XL is JEANS. Almost every chunk of flesh has the potential to create a problem. Unless you want to end up like potatoes stuffed in jutebag, you ought to try every jeans for its fitting. I once tried a jeans from a brand and purchased another one of the same brand, same size. I was told that same brand, same size means same fitting. Only when I tried it a week later did I realise that it did NOT fit well and by then the time limit for exchange had exceeded. Lessons learnt- Since that day I try my pair before purchasing and cross check again after coming home. The easier option is to switch to leggings or the new breed called Jeggings ( Jeans + Leggings).

            If you have ever crossed the life defining 60 kgs you will relate with this. And those on the left side of the scale, stop calling yourselves fat. IT makes us wonder what we are :( :( 

           You are given surmons on how you should live and what you should do to become thin. You plate is eyed with much interest as to see how much you eat. I.SERIOUSLY.HATE.IT. You are supposed to be immune to the jokes cracked about your weight and if you make a hue over it you are tagged as "over-reacting types". 

           Adding oil,petrol, ether ( I m just showing off my chemistry knowledge of inflammable stuff :P ) to your already burning fire in the belly, are some over blessed friends who never seem to put on weight. No matter what trash they eat!
                                               
          Living XL is not fun. Except when you have small, cute feet. You can slip them into any footwear :D Your joys of shopping are fulfilled there. I m envied for having such a foot by the big footed ones :D 

Size matters to me. For me, bada hai toh behtar hai  :P 

I prefer bigger text while reading. Small text can easily make me sleepy. 
I like having a bigger bed to sleep in. Alone. 
I like my books to be fatter. Nahi nahi not the padhai likhai wala book.
And the list goes on.. 

I know its very easy to say that beauty lies in what is inside a person. But frankly, how many of you check out that fat guy or the plump girl ? 
                                                   

15 comments:

Hardi on May 25, 2012 at 11:27 PM said...

I love the genuineness of this post.

What I find is that, no matter what size a girl is, she's always complaining, even if she's a XXS! Which obviously irritates the people who are XXL's.

And although the truth sort of hurts in this matter, you're absolutely correct. People are always saying "beauty lies inside", but unfortunately most people don't actually follow that.

Dr Roshan Radhakrishnan on May 25, 2012 at 11:33 PM said...

As a guy who weighs 100 kgs, I can vouch for the sad selection in XXl outfits.. while everyone frets over shades and cuts, we just have to make do with whatever is available.. I know I know...lose weight blah blah blah...but Like Maithili says, would anyone care to see the personality inside the fat body

Neha on May 26, 2012 at 10:46 AM said...

Sigh, even I'm on the same boat of XXL clothes. It just sucks. Sometimes I hate going to the branded stores for the fear of not getting anything that fits me even in the XXL category. There are some low-down shops that tags medium sized clothes as XXL and makes you believe that it's you who has gained weight :|
So much for chucking outward appearances and feeling good about yourself just the way you are!!
Very honest post.

SukKu on May 26, 2012 at 11:20 AM said...

Nice one! Being XS all my life, I kinda enjoy being XL for the time being. Now people say "tum ab khate peete ghar ki lagti ho" :D

Zeebs on May 26, 2012 at 11:58 AM said...

The whole reason the term "checking out" is called "checking out" is because everything is on the surface.

Nothing usually gets seen past.

And it's not just your weight, it's how you carry yourself. It's your face. It's your hair. It's your eyes. Your make-up. Your perfume. Your accent.

It's all being stared at.

None of us should complain unless you've got obesity in a form of a genetic disease of sort. Then maybe. Live it, love it, work it :)

Confused Soul on May 26, 2012 at 8:05 PM said...

I love this post. And oh the XL size (me being one) totally agrees to every little thing.
And the bra's .. seriously.. why can't we get colored bra's.. :(

heheh but yeah footwear..perfecto :D

L.Guruprasad on May 27, 2012 at 10:43 AM said...

Reading the series of posts on the topic, one could easily get the feeling that the only sizes that matter to women are related to physique. :-) I know for sure that it is not true, so hoping to see posts on totally different sizes that matters :)

Sarah malik on May 27, 2012 at 1:36 PM said...

awww...this is actually sad! And i never knew about the bra part, thats even sadder :/
btw, its really nice to see someone like u laughing it out and not crying over what they havent got. way to go :D


sarah

Aathira Nair on May 27, 2012 at 2:28 PM said...

I started at L and now at XL... Do I have much of a choice... Nope.
But the choice which I exercise is.... NO SHOPPING.
And, husband happy too. Bah.!

Shreya on May 28, 2012 at 11:05 AM said...

A friend says fat people are the ones who're usually happy. Because they've dealt with all the stupid things in life and realised what really matters. I feel like hitting him when he says it. Because it means its OK for them to deal with stupid things in life...

Life is tough. And it doesnt help when the Next Top Model shows off its one PLUS sized model...who happens to be tall and skinny with just a normal tinge of flesh on her.

The worlds an unfair place. Blah.

Magali Vaz on May 29, 2012 at 2:18 AM said...

I know the feeling, in a weird way. I'm at the other end of the spetrum... xs. And not that tall or statuesque. I rarely find clothes that fit me well either, even smaller sizes always hang. And cleavage, what cleavage? And that awesome Triumph animal print bra? I bought it, hoping that I can actually fill it out when I gain some weight. So yeah, I think the world is obsessed with finding some kind of perfect size. Some days thin is in, other days it's anorexic & one needs to be a healthy size. I really do wish people wouldn't look to others for their weight, & realize that a celeb may be very beautiful but they are them & each & every person is unique & amazing, seriously. Also brands do need to be more size inclusive.

Sunitha Vijayanarayan on May 30, 2012 at 6:20 AM said...

Nice one. I have the same issue with shoes . Having big wide feet, I hardly get any footwear I like and after rummaging through dozens of shops I am lucky if I'm able to find one that fits me..

Viya ;) on June 3, 2012 at 10:45 AM said...

I can sooooo relate to this post!!! :D ..
but now, i've moved back from XL to M and hope i can stick onto it! ..but you know in some stores, they jus make reaaaalllyyy tiny clothes and even if you are a normal sized person, you have to end up buying XXXL!.. I stopped going to such stores.. they jus used to depress me!.. loser sale tactics! :P
and i so agree about the colour of the bra.. and dayumn the ones you get in different colours for your size, are so friggin expensive!! ... cha!

NBose on June 6, 2012 at 12:41 AM said...

Ask me!!! the choice is so limited for XL or XXL people. Now I first ask the salesperson whether my size is available then only 'eye'on any particular dress!!

Couldn't agree more with you on that Bra colour part...urrgh...only white & skin colour!!! imagine to get a black one of my size I had to compromise with the cup size!

Yeah...Jeggings are so comfortable...I have already switched to them :-)

Nisha on June 14, 2012 at 8:57 PM said...

I think XL has the best sense of humour!! XXL gets better :D

Post a Comment

 

Darlings Of Venus Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Illustration by Enakei | Blogger Blog Templates