November 12, 2011

I TOO HAVE BEEN A VICTIM

Posted by Red Handed at 12:05 PM

You never know what you are capable of. You have no idea as to what you end up doing in the spur of the moment. You have no clue as to what you do in that crucial moment would be a rational action or just a sudden outburst of emotions.
  
I was in 8th standard when my family took a trip to Vaishnodevi. Yes we have a spiritually well endowed family who sometimes can be mistaken as too religious. You need to walk 14km one side to reach the main temple and so obviously this means you have to walk 14km back down. So one can imagine the physical pain a person experiences after the entire journey is over. It’s beautiful and totally worth it but equally excruciating. 
  
We got a train back home and since it was blistering cold we bought second class sleeper train tickets. I had puked like three times before getting inside the train and my head was reeling. My Dad got a seat in the next compartment side berth, while my mother and my little brother adjusted in the lower berth of the same compartment as mine. My mother helped me lie down on the middle berth and wrapped me with a warm blanket since I was wearing a knee length frock. The entire compartment was filled with young Army Cadets including the middle berth opposite mine. 

I slept off as soon as the lights got switched off except for a dim yellow light. In between my sleep I dreamt that someone was touching my hands and then making way towards my breasts. I thought I was dreaming and somehow opened my eyes, only to find the army cadet on the opposite middle berth stretching his arms and trying to get his hands inside my Frock. I had a massive headache and did not think straight. I gave a dirty look which made him take his hands back to his own berth and went back to sleep. Soon I felt his hands trying to pull my frock up and I looked at him. He smiled at me and continued touching my stomach and then coming up to my breasts. I went numb and I my mind went Blank.
   
I forgot that I could call my mother who was sleeping just below my berth or my Dad on the next compartment. I got down from my seat and saw a Surdarji Ticket Collector on the next Bogie. I don’t know what made me run to him and force him to come back to my compartment with me. The noise made my Father and my mother wake up who got terrified looking at me silently forcing the ticket collector to my seat. Now the compartment lights were on and the entire crowd was peeping in to watch the drama. My Dad asked me what happened and being shy and still shocked, all I could say was ‘HE TOUCHED ME’. People stopped my Dad from hitting the Army Cadet who was now dragged down from the middle berth. His head officer ordered him to get off the Train in the next station. 

All I remember was a loud commotion and my father trying to beat the guy. As I sat on my Dad’s Side berth I remember the dirty stare the cadet gave as he passed me to get down in the next station. I still remember his face.
   
My Father later asked me why I did not wake him up. I have no answer to that. I am not happy with what I did and I don’t think walking to the next bogie and dragging the Ticket Collector is a good idea. But I did what my brain asked me to do in that particular moment. Somehow I am still proud of myself.

11 comments:

Wings of Harmony on November 12, 2011 at 12:09 PM said...

Red, I am proud of you too. It takes guts to get up, move, fetch another man, to look upon. You were brave and strong. I am so glad, you did that. And you couldn't wake your father up, that's all right. You thought right at the moment.

*Hugs* I am proud of you.

maithili on November 12, 2011 at 12:17 PM said...

You acted right..I would have been terrified to even act in such a case.. Telling parents can get embarrassing for all I know. Glad that cadet got punished for what he did..

Keirthana on November 12, 2011 at 1:20 PM said...

Am so very proud of you, Red! Doesn't matter if you didn't call your dad. What matters is if you did a right thing and you did! :)

Vinati on November 12, 2011 at 4:40 PM said...

Of course you should be proud, Red. Even I am proud of you because like you said, you were in 8th standard. And being gutsy at such a young age is something to be proud of.
It doesn't matter that you didn't wake your father or mother up. What matters is that the offender got humiliated in front of all. And that he deserved it very well.
Good job, Red! :)

Writing Bee on November 12, 2011 at 7:35 PM said...

Very disturbing, but I am proud you did the right thing, especially at a young age! And he should have been beaten to near death! I definitely think that is what he deserves!!

vixie on November 12, 2011 at 10:36 PM said...

bloody bastard.
(sorry for saying it loud)
but what a dhabba on an army man..
saaala

RED u know..it is very very difficult to think coherently when something like that happens..
and i think..you did what you felt could save you at that moment..
*warm hugs*
mwahhh :)

cheers..:)

Unknown on November 13, 2011 at 6:35 AM said...

Red as u already knw what u did is the right thing to do, n evry1 is proud of u. So what if he's an army man. So what if it was in the middle of the night n its perfectly ok not waking up yr dad.
It reality you showed great compassion being in such a situation. 1st you dint wnt to wake up yr dad or mom coz n dint wnt 2 disturb them. 2nd you dint shout or scream yrslf (sumthn that i wud hv done) meaning u dint wnt to create noise or havoc.
I feel I would hv started beating him myslf, but not wen i was jus in class 8.
Great job.

Red Handed on November 13, 2011 at 1:48 PM said...

Thankyou all sooo very much.. I am glad u read this and something I wouldnt have written about if it wasnt for this topic which Maithili brought up :)
I am proud of myself but its like a dead story now...and my parents think I shud have woken them up :D
Thankyou all!!! Love!

Sunitha Vijayanarayan on November 14, 2011 at 10:07 AM said...

I'm not sure I have anything more to add as my thoughts are same as the people who have commented above. You did well to get the TTE. and get that horrible guy out .

Red Handed on November 15, 2011 at 11:28 AM said...

Thankyou Sunitha :)

Confused Soul on November 19, 2011 at 2:57 PM said...

The things these men do... Disgusts me really! And I'm proud of you Red... You did the right thing.. I know that numb feeling and that gut instinct that you wanna do something but cant.. That man deserved it.. And I'm glad you're okay!

Post a Comment

 

Darlings Of Venus Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Illustration by Enakei | Blogger Blog Templates