November 30, 2012

A word for all darlings..

Posted by maithili at 12:56 PM
Hello my darlings,

I have been meaning to write this post in September when our blog turned a year old and frankly I was quite taken aback when none of you remembered. A post to celebrate the first anniversary of our blog would have been worthless given the fact that it is hardly the same blog which we started. The blog which was brimming with countless ideas, blog which gave so many friends to each of us, the blog which gave us all the freedom to write all we wanted and discuss all those issues which were brushed under the carpet, the blog which since its conception was projected as "OUR" blog rather than a blog which would work only with a handful of people.

 The admins have moved on in life and I wish them luck with whatever they have taken up. Some have moved on for higher education and some have started working. I agree those priorities are more important than managing a blog. But simply telling me to kick you out is not the solution. It would rather be helpful that those who are relatively free in a given month pitch in to act as admins. A simple facebook message or dropping a line on mail that you can handle it this month will help me a lot. There isn't much job to do as admin other than replying to mails and updating the pages and it barely takes 10 minutes per day. I m grateful to Smita who has singlehandedly working as an admin for past few months but there has to be atleast 2 admins to manage the blog.

As for the dearth in posts, I see no proper reason for it. I have mailed time and again those members who haven't posted since they joined Darlings of Venus and I think its time that their membership is terminated. This month is the last time I will keep the members on hold. If December sees the same lack of response, then this blog better be shut down or converted to closed memberships.
I have a few ideas to revive this blog but it would be impossible carry forward without active participation.
I WANT ONE POST PER MONTH AT ANY COST BY EACH OF YOU.
At present there are 40 writers on this blog and if each of you posts this month atleast once that would mean we have a post almost everyday.

Next thing I would like to ask is, Whatever happened to commenting? Why are the 207 followers not commenting? Like it, hate it, say it! I do not expect that people who read us for entertainment always turn out to comment but the fellow writers who are brilliant themselves can do a whole lot by encouraging the posts here.

I had discontinued the discussions following the poor participation. Its disheartening to get responses like "If only I were not so busy this month" and I stretched the last discussion for 2 months and still the very same people failed to participate.
It is only with the hope that this month will probably get you all back, I m going to put up a new topic for discussion. I cannot force people to write and I cannot plead them to comment. As it is I m writing to people every other day to request for a guest post. This discussion is my last hope to see more writers writing.
The topic for December will be put up tomorrow.

Coming next to topics under the sections. When we started I had delegated some sections to people out here.
Like Fashion to Chandana
Music to Vinati
I was contributing to recipes
I have requested each of you to make it a success. There were sections like craft too. Sections is not the sole responsibility of these people. I know among you many who are good at dressing up, have good music sense, can cook and can paint and can make beautiful stuff. Why the hesitation to share?

The new writers join us and due to lack of feedback stop posting. That is why I put emphasis on commenting if you like their work. Don't make them feel disheartened. Same applies for confessions. It takes a lot to come out and speak what you did wrong. The least we can do is comment and not make them feel like a fool.

Regarding a few rules of this blog,
We DO NOT allow advertising anything. There is DOV facebook page and it is subscribed by all the writers and followers. Post it there if you may!
We DO NOT review anything. Most of our darlings write at A Lot of Pages which is our sister blog and the rightful place for book review. As for movie or product review, it better be done at personal blogs because our DOV mail gets many such requests which we cannot tend to given that we do not advertise or rate anything. A writer doing the same on DOV would contradict our policy so I ask you not to rate a product or movie. If a writer wishes to write on the same line, I suggest she take up the responsibility of the section called "REVIEW" which would have to be started for such requests.

I hope I m not placing high expectations on you all. It would pain me a lot to close this place down but it hurts me more to go about trying it revive it in vain. Please help me build it  back..

Love
Maithili



11 comments:

Arch on November 30, 2012 at 1:07 PM said...

Maithili,

I am one of those how has not done anything other than being a name-sake member. And, I am really really sorry. I will work on a piece over the weekend and email you.

I totally understand how you feel. Man, so sorry. Hugs to you, and trust me - this blog will propel well forward. Lots of Love, and a very sorry face - Arch

maithili on November 30, 2012 at 1:13 PM said...

@Arch:
Please do post soon :) We have to work to make it active again..

Anonymous said...

A novice follower here. I have read 3-4 posts. In fact the title of the blog pulled me, and as you said there wasn't much bustle. But ya I admit, I haven't commented on a single post (sometimes i just find it difficult to put in words the effect of words. okay i know that's not an excuse, but take that as a compliment :))The topics/posts written are quite fresh and mind boggling.

And one request, please don't close this blog. I have been blogging for sometime, so i do know how much it takes for the blog to keep it going. And if there are members, the work goes doubled. So here is to all of you a warm hug for keeping up the good work:)

Members, now wake up :) Some readers like me would like to join in, but considering the challenges maithili is already facing, you all gotta start posting to make silent readers like me to comment.

Maithili, though i dont know you, am sure you are smiling with hope. So am i :)

PS: I think this is the longest comment I have given on any blog :P

Soumya on November 30, 2012 at 3:35 PM said...

Sorry Maithili, can't believe I did this :(

I promise, atleast one post a month henceforth. Promise.

maithili on November 30, 2012 at 4:56 PM said...

@Adreamygal: Thank you so much for supporting me :) I know how sometimes what we feel about a post cannot be put into words but I also know it gives a great push to the writer if her work is genuinely liked :) Oh yes you are right about me smiling with hope :)

maithili on November 30, 2012 at 4:57 PM said...

@Soumya: I will be waiting for your posts since now you have also turned to writing fiction ;)

Makk on November 30, 2012 at 7:01 PM said...

Well, I have been a reader so far.

Given I am from Mars, I dont think you will like any contribution.

Wishing you a lot of activity here.

GO for it Ladies.

eN on November 30, 2012 at 10:38 PM said...

Much needed post Maithili. You said it!

Joined recently and tried posting but then got busy. Extremely sorry. Will post regularly from this month. And looking forward to reading some great posts :)

Wings of Harmony on December 1, 2012 at 11:00 AM said...

I feel horrible. :/ Honestly, it's unbelievable. I am here. Will just make my presence felt. :|

Sorry Sis. :(

Smita on December 3, 2012 at 7:55 PM said...

Maithili I am always there to help and volunteer for anything for blog :)

Sunitha Vijayanarayan on December 6, 2012 at 9:17 PM said...

Mia culpa. I do not believe in making excuses. Will post here soon. I can also help out in the admin stuff for a month, if needed. Pls let me know.

Post a Comment

 

Darlings Of Venus Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Illustration by Enakei | Blogger Blog Templates