October 2, 2011

Peace-d out or More the merrier?

Posted by Viya ;) at 7:15 PM
So many opportunities, good money, a lot of benefits!, a bike, a car, an apartment of your own... this is pretty much the life after you graduate (read - IT peeps! ) and land up in one of those glass-ey air-conditioned software companies..

With nuclear family culture taking the lead, Thanks to the numerous builders and developers for all the apartments + everything else you need for a living ( park, club houses, pool....) , most of my friends have started "investing" in these... ( 'With so much traffic and the ever increase in petrol prices, i would rather buy an apartment close to my workplace yaar.. its in a very good locality also!'... ME- 'But, but... won't you feel lonely there without your parents and sister?'... ' I will.. But what to do yaar, life has to move on... I wanna enjoy an independent life for sometime' )...

Having a place of your own, Buying all the things which you've always dreamed of having in your 'home', Cooking whatever you want, Sleeping however and where ever you want!, not having someone nag you to tidy up the place, sleeping with the lights on, walking around in the teeniest of clothes! ;)...  SO much freedom! :) :D ...

The joint families seem to reduce by the day with Kids moving out to places where they have better opportunities.. good education for their kids.. somewhere 'calmer'!...
The aroma from the kitchen when you come back tired from work, not having to worry about the clothes being left out in the rain, the warm blanky ma or pa or ajju will cover you up with when you fall asleep on the couch in front of the TV, Mum yelling at you for not cleaning up the room, Dad asking you, if you remembered to fill fuel, mamma packing a nice hot lunch so that you don't have to rely on the same old canteen food... Soo many people who care for the tiniest of things which make life more easier...

When I hear stories from my grandmum and her sisters about how they would cook for a home full of 20 people, sleep in the same room, how each one had to earn for their 'pocket' money, the amount of food they used to cook and make sure no one went hungry, I kinda shudder at the thought of living in a house with TWENTY people!!! The closest i've come to living in a 'joint' family is, only during the summer vacation at grandmum's place and we were 10 people! It never used to bother me much when i was a kid, the time used to literally fly in all the games and fun with the cousins... As I grew older, i dreaded going to grandmum's house... the noise and literally no privacy at all! and most of the high school summer vacations remained ruined!... annd now that we all have vacation in different months, we hardly get to go out as a 'family' much..

Both have their pros and cons.. While i love the thought having a place of my own and decking it up the way i want and not having to worry about anyone else, I do yearn for the 'mum made' food and talks from the grandma.. :) oh man!

Whats your take on it?

As a girl, the society 'expects' you to "adjust karna padta hai beta!"... :| 
google images

9 comments:

Vidya on October 2, 2011 at 8:00 PM said...

hey! Thanks for your comments on my blog!

I have a question. I too use blogspot and am wondering if you can tell me how you created these sharing buttons below your post. I think it is very neat and I would love that input!


Vidya

maithili on October 2, 2011 at 8:06 PM said...

@Viya : IT is a tough choice actually! Being alone or with family.. To actually boil it down, we women are always expected to behave as per the norms and standards that society decides on. With financial independence, the urge to live life as we wish is overwhelming. I mean if we earn, we very well deserve the right to live as we wish. After marriage its mostly the women who have to sacrifice. So this recent trend of women living it up a bit is actually a kind of refreshing liberty for them. So some time enjoying life on your own terms doesn't seem that bad a choice.

If you ask me about long term thing, then I would say there is a solution , a middle way in fact. Live in a separate house but in close vicinity of your near ones. That way you get your space and you also get the comfort of having someone close :)

maithili on October 2, 2011 at 8:07 PM said...

@Vidya : the share button is a gadget that you can put on your blog by going to design and then add gadget and choose from the list of gadgets.

Priya Chilamkurthi on October 3, 2011 at 4:36 AM said...

Thats true! How much I used to be pissed off with people around. I wanted peace of mind and wouldn't prefer joint family. But now sometimes I need people to jabber.
I wish I am with my family but all other joint family members living little away who can be visited on occasions :D

CookieCrumbsInc. on October 3, 2011 at 12:46 PM said...

Actually I'm thinking, can we get the best of both worlds? As in get an apartment near my parents place? That would be perfect wouldn't it? *sigh*

^ I wrote this comment before I scrolled up and read Maithili's. There it is, she's said it better:)

Spaceman Spiff on October 3, 2011 at 1:44 PM said...

I've been living by myself for more than two years now. My parents live in my home-town. And as ungrateful as I may sound, I must admit, I absolutely enjoy living alone. I have a roommate now, but for a year-and-a-half, it was just me.

I do miss my family sometimes though. When I come home tired and there's no food ready by mom. When i'm stuck some place and there's no dad to come pick me up. When I'm bored of my clothes and don't have my sister's wardrobe to dig into. Ya.. it's tough. But now that I've got a taste of this so-called independant life, I don't think I can go back to living with my folks full time again.

Viya ;) on October 3, 2011 at 2:06 PM said...

@ maithili : very true.. Far yet close.. :) I wonder if i'll get to do that.. :|

@ Pria : People to jabber and blabber to - best time pass ever! :P

@ PV : :D :D

@ Spaceman spiff : aw man! if i ever go live on my own, i'm def gonna miss the sister's wardrobe! :P :P

Keirthana on October 3, 2011 at 6:53 PM said...

Independence is always good when it is a necessity and being together is good when it is by choice.

There are joint families that are joint only by name. Having come from one such family, I have longed for an independent home where I could just live with my mom,dad and bro. However, I have also heard of people who have lived in wonderful joint families. So, when it is by choice of the people living together, joint families are way better.

Otherwise, we might as well do on our own.

Smita on October 4, 2011 at 1:48 AM said...

I have been living alone with just my mom and dad since i was born whereas all my other cousins have been living together as one bog family. Hence i could very well relate to the topic taken here ;) everything has a bright face and a dark face.

the concluding line is simply the truth of every girl's life :) loved it <3

Post a Comment

 

Darlings Of Venus Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Illustration by Enakei | Blogger Blog Templates