September 20, 2011

Ageing gracefully

Posted by Viya ;) at 4:47 PM
In this era, when almost everything is possible, we are no stranger to the 'ant- ageing' creams and the pretty women in the advertisements who look like they've been frozen in time.. 

How many of us are ready to let life do what it has to without trying to stop the natural process? 

Everyone wants to stay youthful and young and dupe the world with their "young and carefree" attitude.. 

I've seen my great-grandmother, grandmother and mother and their versions of a make-up kit.. 

My great-grandmum's make-up wooden box consisted of a snuff pillow ( i really dunno why and my grandma tells me it was to make sure the box smells good!.. that's a weird theory ), Kaajal ( which used to come in steel small tins! ) and a thin silver needle kinda object ( she used to keep a long bindi made out of kumkum mixed in water with the help of the stick ) ... Well this was her "make-up" kit when she was in her nineties! In her youth, she and her friends were most fascinated by the colorful nylon ribbons and glass bangles! (that's it?!!) and of course the flowers!.. She was one beautiful woman with grey eyes, and i just can't imagine her having thick black hair ( all through my life, i've seen her with long silvery white hair! ) and inspite of her wrinkles caused over time, she was a very beautiful woman.

Moving on to my grandmum, her make-up box contains fair and lovely cream (ah the obsession my fair skin! sadly she din't get the 'fair' gene from my great grandmother ), vaseline for her heels, Red sticker bindis and the kaajal dabba. Even in her late seventies now, she has waist length hair ( thanks to all the oiling with weird smelling herbs and shikhakai in her youth! man! I envy the length of her hair ) and her dark olive coloured skin (which has been faithful to the mysore sandal soap) has started to look like old tree bark :( ( man! I don;t want her to grow old! ) and inspite of me buying her the moisturizing lotions and creams, she still prefers to add a small spoon of ghee to the last mug of water during the bath and says that's all the body needs and not your lotion potions! :P 

Don't even get me started on my mum's make-up kit ( if i can call it a kit! )... From the days of those red and pink nailpolishes ( i think they were called eyetex or something ) to the present day creams, my mum has literally experimented with all products in the market! Being a dancer, at a young age, she got fascinated with make-up and 'beautifying' herself.. from the lacto calamine and ponds powder days to the present olay and revlon compacts, her dresser is like a treasure chest to any make-up obsessed girl! ( thank god me and my sister haven't inherited my mum's make-up obsession ) Even though we tell her you don't need any of those anti-ageing things and you look pretty the way you are, she doesn't listen to us :| ( she doesn't even look like a mother of 2 daughters in their 20s! )...

When we have hundreds of cosmetic surgeons and loads of celebrities getting their assets 'modified' , millions of creams, lotions and what not to keep us youthful, I really dunno how many of us are actually ready to just let nature work on us as we age... 
It is indeed a pain when we see a pimple in the morning when you have something special, that gloss which just enhances your pout, the under eye creams to hide the previous night's work pressure...  
The make-up industry is more of a boon than a bane ( atleast according to me! ).. but come on don;t look like pan cakes at the end of the day, give your skin a li'l breathing space! :) 
Google images 

P.S : If you're wondering what my make-up pouch consists of, its a kaajal, lacto calamine, lip balm and a lip gloss! :P 

11 comments:

♥●• İzdihër •●♥ on September 20, 2011 at 5:13 PM said...

Nothing is impossible in this age of latest technolicy and research.

♥●• İzdihër •●♥ on September 20, 2011 at 5:20 PM said...

technology*

The DRAGON in the skin of a goat ;-p on September 20, 2011 at 7:55 PM said...

I hate cosmetics as well...My kit is exactly the same as yours with one addition, a ponds talc(for the oily days ;-))...but I have big thing for face washes for some reasons I can't stay away from any new face wash in the market...Was thinking of putting up a post on that here soon...will get pictures to illustrate the obsession and do so ;-p

Chandana on September 20, 2011 at 9:00 PM said...

I know.. so true! I dont use makeup much.. recently started reading and researching about different products.. but am yet to try them out!
My makeup kit - kaajal, gloss, compact and a moisturizer/hand lotion!

Viya ;) on September 20, 2011 at 9:59 PM said...

@ Izdiher : true.. :)
@ D : ahh.. the beloved saviour ponds! i used to use that a long time ago and i've hardly seen it for the past few years.. :|
ooh :D :D waiting for the post! :D :D
@ TGAFA : ah :) :) ..

Wings of Harmony on September 20, 2011 at 11:45 PM said...

@Viya: How true! About the Grandmother kit! My Naani has the most beautiful hair...waist length. All three of us, and also my Paternal grandmother are not bigg on makeup...but we love kaajal. And yes, makeup is boon, it has a lot of negative effects which we tend to ignore. I was at one point, hooked to Vaseline lip balm...turns out, it blackens your lips. I stopped using it. Now I am using it again, in moderation ;) :D

CookieCrumbsInc. on September 20, 2011 at 11:51 PM said...

Ah, make up. What was once an obsession now lays forgotten in the drawers of my cupboard. So much so that now I sometimes don't care how weird I look as long as I am decent. Growing old much?-_-

Sovina on September 21, 2011 at 8:03 AM said...

that is so true..I think for us, there can be middle road in using only natural products in our make up ..that way you can have the creams and lotions and also get some natural ingredients inside your body..but at the end of the day it is still a substitute ..

http://weddingonthecards.blogspot.com/

Viya ;) on September 21, 2011 at 6:33 PM said...

@ MSM : oh man! i was shocked when i heard vaseline lip balm makes the lips dark and since then i've not used any of the vaseline products on my lips.. :|
@ Pri : hehe.. pretty muc hthe same here.. and a day without kaajal, people just assume i'm "ill".. :P so a perfect excuse to stay out of the class :P
@ Sovina : trueee... :)

Wings of Harmony on September 21, 2011 at 9:44 PM said...

I am still using it...lil lil :D :D I guess I am used to it. :|

maithili on September 22, 2011 at 10:55 AM said...

I was once so obsessed with makeup! I wouldn't venture out with my ritual of first applying a talcum, then eyeliner, lipgloss and sometimes eyeshadow, little bit of blush, matching earrings etc etc. That was in first year junior college ;P :P

Now in 2nd year degree, my make up pouch (yes I keep one in my bag ) consists of a Lakme facewash, a kajal, ponds talc, Dr Lips and a gloss.
I just apply talc and kajal while in college and while coming out (when I get too tired after my longggggg practicals) I just wash my face and do my hair :P :P

yes but I have seen so many of my friends pancaked while coming and going from college!!
I just content looking decent now :P

Post a Comment

 

Darlings Of Venus Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Illustration by Enakei | Blogger Blog Templates