December 29, 2011

Live My Life

Posted by Red Handed at 10:10 AM

 My Dear, 

I am not doing well. My body is giving up on me and so is my will to live. I now just want my days to end and I can feel that my moments are numbered now. You are all I have and you are the only person I can rightfully call mine.

You were born premature, 2 months. Your father and I spent days near your incubator praying for our bundle of joy to be able to breathe on his own. God was good to us, but he was jealous. He took away your Dad from us, when you were just 2. Accident on the highway they said. But son, I shut down my sadness deep in my heart and away from you because you were all I had. My life revolved around you.

As a child you used to slip and fall a lot and I would always run to pick you up before the tear reached your pink cheeks. Your tears had the power to kill me and your smile was my rescue. Do you remember your food habits as a teen? You rarely liked the homely food I cooked and you would get angry on me for not being able to cook like your friend’s mother did. I forced myself to learn to cook a few dishes which suited your taste, just to make you happy and you were proud of me then. Do you remember being afraid of the dark? Even now you cannot sleep without the dim lights being on. I am not complaining my love but I spoilt you. I took care of all your demands because it was for you that I lived. I was happy when you brought home a beautiful girl saying that you have chosen her to be your wife. My son is now a man.

But why do you shout at me now? My ears have given up and I cannot hear you no matter how much I try. I gave you our house as your marriage gift because I had nothing else left to gift you. I live with you because it is with you that I belong and because I have nowhere else to go. I even give you my monthly pension because you take care of me. My love, why don’t you run to pick me up whenever I slip and fall? Why do I disgust you? Why do you let me sleep starving because my teeth couldn’t chew on the solid food my daughter in law made? Why is there no light in my room since 2 months? Why did you not provide a bulb in my bathroom even after we found a snake in there, and I fainted after hitting my head hard on the granite floor? Why do you hate me so much? I don’t have clean clothes to wear because at the age of 86, I cannot sit down to rub away the dirt and wash it. Why don’t you keep me clean? I am not complaining, I am just confused since the answers escape me. Why don’t you call me ‘Mom’ now? Why do you swear at me?

Son, thankyou for letting me stay with you. I am happy living where I can see you growing old and watch you pampering your child, my grandson. Thankyou for not sending me away to an old age home because I don’t want my last days to be spent alone, away from the only one I can call ‘mine’. But son never forget one thing. I am not cursing you when I say this but ‘where I am now, you will be someday’.

Your,
Mother.

14 comments:

sumitra on December 29, 2011 at 10:28 AM said...

Lovely post, Red. Captured the feelings of the old perfectly with your words. How effortlessly you slipped into the shoes of another. Wonderful!

Wings of Harmony on December 29, 2011 at 10:29 AM said...

:') Ohhh...so painful. Yet profound. Mothers are the true givers. Beautifully penned Red. *Hugs* :)

Chandana on December 29, 2011 at 10:37 AM said...

No words.
I mean that in a good way.

maithili on December 29, 2011 at 11:06 AM said...

Painful but true! While sending parents to old age may seem cruel but the ultimate torture is keeping them home and making them feel like dirt everyday! I have seen this happening and I feel somewhere the parents need to realise that no matter what, they should keep security for old age. It is no longer the time where one can depend on their children..

CookieCrumbsInc. on December 29, 2011 at 11:35 AM said...

Sons...children.. who do that to their parents should be sent to the gas chamber. How can they do this? After everything the parents do. After every single goddamn thing, they still choose to ignore them when they are needed the most and think of them as liabilities. They really should be killed painfully, because words don't seem to work. It's like their conscience died.

Beautiful post, girl.

Anonymous said...

Goosebumps!

That's all i have to say!

Vinati on December 29, 2011 at 4:43 PM said...

This is worse than dying in a terrorist attack. As this is done by one's own children.

It was a very strong and hard-hitting post, Red.

Keirthana on December 29, 2011 at 6:48 PM said...

A strong and very painful post.. Still it has to be conveyed! Very beautifully penned post!

Confused Soul on December 29, 2011 at 7:34 PM said...

true story of many old parents. It's painful to see how children treat their parents..

You gave me goosebumps.. I wish to be a good daughter.. I really do!

vixie on December 29, 2011 at 8:28 PM said...

RED...i feel like hugging you sweetheart..
such a heart wrenching tale..this was..
and i so agree with maithz..parents shud have some sort of security to bank upon..
sighhh...scary...totally scary

cheers love

Anish on December 29, 2011 at 10:05 PM said...

Well written, but common! Tis the season to be jolly man!

Red Handed on December 29, 2011 at 11:54 PM said...

THANKYOU MY LOVELIES!!!! THANKYOU!!
@Sumitra-I tried :)
@MSM-HUGS to you babe!
@The Girl at the First Avenue- oh thanks!!!
@Maithili- even bank balance doesnt help..when a kid asks, the parents give. Then they suffer
@peevee- I SECOND EVERY WORD YOU SAID!
@Metagravity- Thankyou!
@Mirage- Thankyou ever soo much!
@Keirthana- I couldnt stop myself frm writing this
@confused soul- You already are a superstar f a daughter!
@Meoww- Now!! My sloppy and mushy kisses are reserved for u!
@Anish- That quota was just filled in my blog.

Sunitha Vijayanarayan on December 30, 2011 at 8:57 AM said...

nicely written , but rather a topic that has been written about a lot.. :)

Unknown on March 16, 2015 at 9:12 AM said...

MTT chuyên cung cấp những sản phẩm tăng cường sức khỏe đời sống như thuốc bổ cho mắt
thuốc tăng cường trí nhớ
triple omega 3-6-9
thuoc multivitamin
thuoc giam can tot nhat
mỹ phẩm sakura nhật bản
Bạn đang thắc mắc hay phân vân lựa chọn cho mình loại kem chống nắng cho những ngày hè sắp tới ? Hãy đọc bài viết của chúng tôi để có sự lựa chọn tốt nhất cho mình
kem chống nắng nào tốt nhất

Post a Comment

 

Darlings Of Venus Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Illustration by Enakei | Blogger Blog Templates