December 29, 2011

The gift of light

Posted by The DRAGON in the skin of a goat ;-p at 11:46 PM
 I used to believe it when mother said aunt Dorothy had got white roses for me. I used to believe when father would drive me to beach and describe the sky a painting of crimson and blue. I used to believe Trish when she told me that she bought me a green shirt. I used to believe Vikram when he announced to us that his new pet is a golden retriever. I used to believe Shanti aunty, our maid, when she promised me that I was wearing brown shoes for school. I used to believe Raman Sir when he said he gave me purple, orange and green sketches to colour during class. I also believed him when he said I used the purple sketch the most. 

I didn't have much choice back then. My world was a monotonous black and that's the only colour I knew. I had to agree with my family when they said it was dawn and when it was dusk, I couldn't tell the difference; I lived in a dark world. When the festival of lights came I only heard the noise outdoors and smelt the delicious food. It felt like life was laid out for me and I just had to follow it like clock work. Everybody around me helped me take in the surroundings, they told me of the beauty of this world and the wonderous creations of God. It pained me not be able to see who I am, to see how pretty Trish looked on her wedding day, to see how beautiful the night sky looked with a lone moon to light it up. But then I knew my world as it was told to me and I accepted it. 

Today I can see that I actually used the purple sketch the most. I hear the birds chirp as I walk past the park and I know that they are happy to see me just as I am to see them. I give aunt Dorothy white roses and she gives me a warm hug. I take dad out on a drive and thank him for all the times he drove me up to the beach and he is happy when I tell him his illustration of the setting sun was almost accurate. I see Sparky, Vikram's pet, as he steals our cricket ball and hides it under the car and wonder what he must have been like as a pup. I see mother wipe away those tears as I clutch my college degree in my hands and I see who I am. I see the miracle of life all around me and I see beauty of this world in all it's glorious ways.  

Earlier when I lived the life laid out for me, everything was portrayed so beautifully, everything so peaceful like everybody was in love and everything was perfect, but today when I can see things for myself I can't help but see more hatred than love, more horror than solace and more pain than joys. The world I knew back then is not the world I see now, what changed and why?  I can't thank God enough for bringing back light in my life and I can't express the enormous gratitude I have for the donor who chose to leave behind his legacy with me. I would never want to go back to the world of engulfing blackness but in a world filled with the green of envy and red of anger I feel I'm blind all over again!!!

I've always been in awe with colours and I can't imagine my life without them. I love to see the sun set and love to see the dance of colours at the horizon when that happens. I adore my pets and I can't stop looking at myself the days my hair blesses me with a tamed behaviour. I have found peace and wisdom by gazing up at the stars and I never could turn away from a well laid out buffet. All these are familiar to me and comforting and I can't imagine, even for a minute, what my life would be if I couldn't see these things again. Or never saw them in the first place. Disability is an encumbrance which none of us would wish on ourselves or our loved ones. I've always been fascinated by the conversations the deaf and dumb have, but blind  people affect me a lot. I've cried so many times looking at the blind try to find their way sometimes with the help of their stick sometimes with the help of us normal people. All of us feel for them I'm sure, but how many of us do anything at all about what we feel. We take some of our basic gifts for granted, a gift like sight being one of them!!! People like Helen Keller and Franklin Roosevelt I'm sure inspire a lot of us.

                                                      How many of you remember this ad?
I think she looks much better now, but those eyes still remain just as beautiful and so does the message. If you haven't already done so please do, you could help somebody see that miracles can actually come true. To know more about pledging your eyes and how to do so visit : here, here or here. I donate blood every time I go over 45 kilos, I've already pledged my eyes, so this year I wanted to do a little more. On my B'day I'll be spending the entire day with the blind and here after if possible every weekend at a school for the blind orphans. There are still among us who believe that those who don't find their roots remain demented for life,  for such people more giving than the rest of us I say!!! Vision without action is a dream. Action without vision is simply passing the time. Action with Vision is making a positive difference. Blessed are those who can give without remembering, and take without forgetting!!!

Bring in the new year in style people :D :D :D.
XOXO
P.S. Anybody willing to donate those purple eyes please contact me first :P                                                         

4 comments:

Confused Soul on December 30, 2011 at 2:04 PM said...

This was beautiful. The flow of words and the emotions attached to it are beyond what one can Imagine. Very beautifully written :)

I'd made up my mind to pledge my eyes long back. And I haven't changed that thought. My heart goes out to the blond, because for them hearing is believing and a world without colors frightens me.

And people like you are so rare. Who think so much about others. I have just one word for you .. RESPECT :)

Keirthana on December 30, 2011 at 5:00 PM said...

Very beautiful :) You just gave us the most awesome way of giving! And Yeah I am pledging not only my eyes, but everything.

Hats off DIGS! :)

maithili on December 31, 2011 at 10:51 AM said...

This is the best way to pass on the wonderful gift given to you.. Ash created quite a movement when she decided to donate those beautiful eyes but I think it died there.. Very few people come out to donate organs..The eye is the least one can donate.. only the upper layer gets transplanted so there is nothing that people should object too!
When you gift someone your eyes you actually gift them life.. Beautiful post..

P.S: Purple eyes??? too much purple obsession!!

Unknown on March 16, 2015 at 9:17 AM said...

MTT chuyên cung cấp những sản phẩm tăng cường sức khỏe đời sống như thuốc bổ cho mắt
thuốc tăng cường trí nhớ
triple omega 3-6-9
thuoc multivitamin
thuoc giam can tot nhat
mỹ phẩm sakura nhật bản
Bạn đang thắc mắc hay phân vân lựa chọn cho mình loại kem chống nắng cho những ngày hè sắp tới ? Hãy đọc bài viết của chúng tôi để có sự lựa chọn tốt nhất cho mình
kem chống nắng nào tốt nhất

Post a Comment

 

Darlings Of Venus Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Illustration by Enakei | Blogger Blog Templates